Our client, a business conglomerate with diverse cross-sector interests requires the services of a Legal Counsel, Corporate Commercial. Your primary responsibility will be to ensure that the company’s interests, operations and business transactions are protected to minimize exposure to potential litigation and fully comply with the law/relevant statutory provisions.
- Serve as Internal Legal Consultant to other functional units in the Group by providing advice on contracts laws, dispute resolution and also provide legal advice on issues and implications that may arise in dealing with external customers
- Draft, vet and review all legal documents and agreements relating to the Group’s operations (e.g. supplier / vendor contracts, insurance contracts, employee contracts, service level agreements) and ensure company standards are properly complied with before sending them to the Group Head, General Counsel/ Company Secretary for the signing of new deals/executing agreements
- Review all contracts to identify clauses that may unduly expose the company to risks
- Work with the Group Head, General Counsel/Company Secretary to advise management in all contractual negotiations and arrangements
- Liaise with external regulators and advisers, such as lawyers, auditors, etc. on behalf of the Group.
- Conduct legal analysis and research on various legal matters for the Group
- Provide advice on different legal issues and assist in drafting legal opinions, memoranda and other briefing documents
- Assist in reviewing the legal material and any other relevant documents and to identify the most important issues that need to be sorted out on a priority basis
- Draw up formalities regarding the settlement of disputes and monitor the implementation of the legal clauses
- Support the Group Head, General Counsel/Company Secretary to provide legal advice on all business transactions with third parties including all legal documents and newspaper publication to avoid or minimise exposure to potential litigation
- Prepare legal guidelines for expansion to mitigate against possible litigation, arbitration, staff and/or community unrest and other situations capable of disrupting the Company’s operations
Skills & Qualifications
- First Degree in Law (LLB, BL)
- Membership of relevant professional bodies such as Institute of Chartered Secretaries of Nigeria (ICSA)
- Minimum of 7 years relevant experience with at least 2 years in a supervisory role
- Proven hands-on technical capacity in dealing with and advising on matters of corporate, business and commercial law, encompassing contracts/agreements, litigation, arbitration and legal risk management.
- Strong ability to communicate effectively – oral and written
- Deep knowledge of and very current with developing legal issues and trends, institutional policies and procedures, regulations and by-laws as well as the legal environment within which they operate
- Excellent planning and record management skills
- Strong negotiation and persuasion skills
- Strong leadership skills, intuitiveness and ability to pay attention to details
- Strong analytical and crisis management skills
- High level of integrity, objectivity and professional skepticism
- Proficiency in the use of MS Office Suite i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint
To apply, click the apply button or send your application to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with job title as subject of email.
Please Note: Only candidates who meet above requirements will be contacted.
|Job Category||Legal Services|